The land for the Wilcox Cemetery was given to the Wilcox Cemetery Association in 1924, by Mr. F. L. Wilcox. In that same year, Mr. R. O. Clark gave the wrought iron fence which graces the entrance and street sides of the property. Directions
Generations of Wilcoxes and their progeny rest in the cemetery. Other names seen frequently include Kelsey, Savage, Hubbard, North, and Benson.
The Wilcox family tree can be traced back to Colonial days. Samuel Wilcox was born September 26, 1685 in East Berlin, Connecticut. He married Hannah Sage - daughter of John Sage and Hannah Starr - March 31, 1714, in Middletown, Connecticut. He died January 19, 1727/28 in Middletown. Children of Samuel and Hannah Wilcox are:
1. Daniel Wilcox. b. December 13, 1715 in the Upperhouses, East Berlin, Connecticut; d. July 29, 1789 in the Northwest Quarter, East Berlin, Connecticut, at the age of 73.
2. Josiah Wilcox. b. June 28, 1717 in Barrington, Connecticut; d. 1788 at the age of 71.
3. Hannah Wilcox. b. December 24, 1718; m. John Wilcox.
4. Charles Wilcox. b. February 16, 1719/20; m. Launtha Elderkin May 8, 1751.
5. Israel Wilcox. b. September 1, 1720; m. Martha Barnes April 4, 1749.
6. Rachel Wilcox. b. January 6, 1721/22 in Middletown, Connecticut; d. in Middletown.
7. Elizabeth Wilcox. b. October 25, 1726.
If you have photos or further information about the history of Wilcox Cemetery or the Wilcox family, please contact our webmaster. Thank you.
Wilcox Cemetery Association, Inc. 273 Berlin Street / PO Box 69 East Berlin, CT 06023-0069